History of the OE Club
Starting together in a new establishment in 1855, where nobody knew their way about, remembered the daily routine nor knew what was out of bounds, gave a stronger feeling of companionship than is normal among schoolboys. In 1877, Sir Henry Morris (1855-59) and Sir Frederick Taylor (1855-59), who maintained a strong friendship throughout life, together with Francis John Marshall (1856-1861) and William Warwick Wagstaffe (1855-59), called a meeting at St James Hall, Piccadilly "for the purpose of organising a club which has as its object, the occasional meeting of those who have been educated at the College". More than one hundred Old Epsomians attended and it was decided to hold dinners in March, July and December, which should not cost more than five shillings a head exclusive of wine, and that there should be an entry fee of one guinea with no annual subscription. Morris was elected Treasurer, a post which he only gave up at the fortieth meeting in 1919, and Taylor served as Secretary until 1886. Each dinner, which soon became biannual, was chaired by a different member and Goodhart, a regular attendee, took his turn in 1880.
The Epsomians Club, as it was first known, flourished with a regular influx of new members, although they declined to admit College masters in 1882, to their great annoyance, and like all clubs it has had difficult times. The vision of these founders started an organisation which has become an institution of great benefit to Epsom College and its members.
A Tradition of Medical Excellence: The Early Yearsby Dr John Ford (Fayrer 1950-55)