Originally opened in 1883, Carr was named after one of the original supporters and benefactors of the College, Dr William Carr. The House is now situated on the first floor of the main building and has recently been part of a major refurbishment. Carr is home to some 80 boys, who have a range of facilities within the accommodation. For a PDF version of the Carr booklet click here.
Crawfurd House is named after a former Dean of the Medical Department of King's College, Sir Raymond Henry Payne Crawfurd, who joined the Council of Epsom College in 1915. Situated at the southern end of the terrace of what were originally alms houses overlooking the College lawns, the house is conveniently located next to the Dining Hall and is close to all academic departments. The house occupies rooms on three floors in accommodation that elegantly combines the brand new and purpose-built with some of the College's oldest buildings, thoroughly refurbished to the same high standard.
Named in honour of Sir Joseph Fayrer, a leading doctor and reformer at the start of the last century, Fayrer House is the largest in the College. Originally established in the Newsom Building, the House moved 40 years ago to what was then the school sanatorium, which explains its remote location away from the main school buildings. Fayrer was totally refurbished in July 2009 and in addition to a wide range of multimedia facilities, now boasts a cinema room.
Forest House moved nearly 50 years ago from a central location into purpose-built accommodation alongside College Road, close to the main rugby pitches. The House outgrew this building in the early part of this decade and over the last few years has been attractively refurbished and extended. It is named after Robert Forest who was an early major benefactor.
Granville House was the last to move from its original accommodation in the main school building. In 2015 it moved to Newsom, swapping with Carr and Propert. The house is named after The 2nd Earl Granville, who was the third President of the College.
Holman House, named after Sir Constantine Holman who was a member of the College Council for many years and its Treasurer from 1887 to 1906, occupies the newer half of the long building that runs alongside College Road. Like Forest House, Holman outgrew its space and has benefited from the building's extension and major refurbishment which has provided a modern and attractive facility in which to live and work.
Murrell HouseA new girls' day house, Murrell, opened in September 2017 in a section of the Fayrer building (formerly the Sanatorium). The house is named in honour of one of Epsom's pioneering female figureheads, Dr Christine Murrell. Dr Murrell represented the Medical Women's Federation at the first Epsom College Conjoint Committee meeting in 1932. She was the first woman to sit on this committee and the first woman to be elected to the council of the British Medical Association.
The House is named after the founder of the College, Dr John Propert. Propert is now housed in the main building, together with Carr, having swapped places with Granville. For a PDF version of the Propert Booklet click here.
Raven House, founded in 1999 and named after Dame Kathleen Raven, is our youngest house. It occupies the building that had been Crawfurd House, on to which the new Mackinder classroom block was built. Its location, at the very heart of the teaching area of the College campus, is found by its members to be most convenient, as is its proximity to the Tuck shop!
Robinson House was founded in 1968 and is named after Dr. Henry Robinson, treasurer of the College between 1952 and 1960. The house is situated in the middle of the complex of five boys' houses that stretch from the Main Gate down beside College Road.
Rosebery House was the College's first day house. Though day boys were admitted to Epsom College from its foundation, they were not given their own house until 1926, when Lord Rosebery, a former Prime Minister, agreed to allow the new day house to be named after him in honour of his long association with the College. Rosebery is situated in one corner of the College campus next to the John Piper Art School.
The current building was constructed in 1933 and the original corridors were external, with draughty doors opening to the outside. Today, it has changed beyond all recognition. In September 2008, Rosebery became a girls' day House
White House is unique in that it is the only 6th Form house in the College. Established in 1976 as a boarding and day house for 6th Form girls, it was moved a few years later to its present location at the northern end of the terrace of what were originally alms houses overlooking the College lawns, where it continues to provide a home exclusively for girls entering the 6th Form from other schools.
Wilson House was established in 1873 and is named after Sir Erasmus Wilson, who founded the Chair of Dermatology at the Royal College of Surgeons but is better known for paying for the removal of Cleopatra's Needle from Alexandria and its epic transportation to the Embankment in London. The House was founded as the Headmaster's House and as such was the first to have its own separate identity. It is now a girls' house. For a PDFversion of the Wilson booklet click here.